From the vast array of lubricants, choosing the right one can be troublesome. But in the world of vehicle maintenance, lubricants stand as a foundation of vehicle longevity and performance. Consider your vehicle like a human body. To keep it running smoothly, you need to give the required care and supplies from time-to-time, like you would do for your body. And in case of automotive maintenance, the engine completely depends on the right lubricant to keep moving smoothly. Selecting the right lubricant is a simple task that will have an overall impact on your vehicle’s longevity and efficiency. A wrong engine oil might lead to far-reaching consequences such as reduced fuel efficiency, premature wear and tear, and even worse engine failure. Let’s delve into the advantages of choosing the right engine oil for your vehicle.
The Role of Engine Oil in Automobile Maintenance
- Lubrication: It is considered as one of the most important functions of engine oil. When the engine works, numerous metal components come in contact with each other and which may result to friction. But when you apply the engine oil it will create a protective layer between these moving metal parts and reduce friction. This minimizes wear and tear ensuring a longer lifespan.
- Cleaning Agent: Over time, the soot, dirt, and other contaminants will accumulate in the engine. So, when you apply the engine oil in specific time intervals the detergent additives in it capture and disperse them thoroughly preventing sledge buildup.
- Temperature Regulation: Within the complex working process of engine, it generates immense heat. The engine oil circulates through the engine and absorbs this excess heat. and then dissipates this heat into the oil cooler, allowing the engine to operate within its optimal temperature range. This property of lubricant will prevent the overheating and potential damage.
- Corrosion Protection As the engine operates, it produces heat and moisture which may later develop into corrosion of metal surfaces. The corrosion inhibitors in engine oil neutralize acids and protect the metal surfaces from corrosive effects of moisture and oxidation. This will extend the life of engine and makes it work smoothly.
Why You Need to Choose The Right Engine Oil For Your car
- Viscosity: Not all engines are manufactured equally. So, the engine oil that should be used in every engine differs. In the case of engine oils, one size does not fit all. Each engines have different requirements, so that it’s important to choose the correct viscosity. Viscosity is the thickness of oil or it’s resistance to flow. Engine oils come in different grades, and choosing the right viscosity is like a picture-perfect solution – neither too thick nor too thin. To choose the engine oil with right viscosity, you can follow instruction in owners manual. They will suggest you the right viscosity grade by analysing operating temperatures and engine design. Keep in mind that modern engines need lubricants with specific viscosity grades. Using a wrong viscosity can lead to adversely affecting fuel efficiency, poor lubrication and even worse irreversible engine damages. To choose the engine oil with right viscosity, you can follow your vehicle manufacturer’s recommendation
- Lubrication: Let us assume that the engine is your heart of vehicle. Now, engine oil is the blood that keeps the heart beating. Within the intricate machinery of an engine, numerous metal parts move at high speed and make contact with each other. This continuous contact between metal parts might lead to early damage in engine. However, the engine oil creates a barrier between these metal components, providing proper lubrication and thereby reducing friction. By choosing the right engine oil for your vehicle, you ensure that the vital components of your vehicle work seamlessly together, avoiding unexpected breakdowns and overheating.
- Changing Environmental Conditions: Engine operates in a wide range of temperature conditions and it needs to adapt to the varying weather conditions. Whether its scorching heat or chilling cold, your vehicle has to run. The right lubricant or engine oil must adjust to these extremes. To make the engine work in different temperature, the engine oil takes on the role of a mediator. During winter, the engine oil has to flow smoothly to start the vehicle easily. On the other hand, during hot summer days the engine oil need to maintain the stability of its flow to avoid sudden breakdowns. The high quality additives in engine oil enhance its performance in various conditions.
- Fuel Efficiency: In this era of increasing fuel rate, owning a vehicle with good mileage will always benefit your wallet. When the friction is reduced and the vehicle has the best lubrication, it can operate smoothly. This, in turn requires less energy resulting in less fuel consumption. Over time, these small cost saving will benefit both your vehicle and wallet.
- Prevent Sludge Formation: Accumulation of deposits and sludge are one of the main reasons of vehicle’s impeded performance. In the end, the vehicle will need costly repairs. But the high quality engine oil contain detergents and dispersants that prevents the sledge formation. So, the right engine oil will help you keep the engine clean and not compromise the engine performance
- Longevity: For the longevity of your vehicle, you need to focus on your vehicle’s engine. Proper engine maintenance including selecting the right engine oil for your vehicle is one of the crucial steps of automotive maintenance. A properly maintained engine will make your vehicle run smoothly resulting a longer life span. You need to track your vehicle’s engine performance from time to time and also change the lubricant at specific intervals. If a vehicle is in good condition, especially its engine, it will increase its value in the resale market. Potential buyers are often attracted to well-maintained vehicles. So, giving a little more importance to your vehicle is also a good investment for the future